Jaipur, March 5, 2012: The population and size of slums and underdeveloped areas in Jaipur are swelling with increased migration of people from rural areas to urban. Presently, more than half of the city's population resides in urban areas.
But 10 years ago, as per the 2001 Census, more than half of the population lived in rural areas here. But the 2011 Census shows more people are now living in urban areas, and points that since 2001, people have been continuously moving towards urban areas for employment.
The 2001 Census report shows that 50.64% of the population lived in rural areas and 49.36% in urban areas, but the latest 2011 Census report says 52.51% of the total population lives in urban areas while the remaining 47.49% in rural areas.
"It has been seen in the recent past that people have migrated from rural to urban areas which has exerted pressure on various facilities provided by the JMC," a JMC official said.
Last week, UNICEF, too, expressed its concern over growing slum areas and urbanization in Rajasthan. "Since Rajasthan is ninth in the list of urban population growth in the last decade, facilities like health, sanitation are being strained and problems of waste water and solid waste are aggravating," a UNICEF state office for Rajasthan official said. Also, other problems directly related to population growth in cities are also exerting extra pressure on housing and transportation facilities.
Besides, the government is hopeful it will be able to check growing urbanization with nationally sponsored schemes. Jaipur zila pramukh Hazari Lal Nagar claimed that the migration of people from rural to urban areas has declined in the last three years due to the centre-sponsored scheme of employment in rural areas, i.e., MNREGA. "In the last three years since MNREGA was launched the migration has slowed down. Figures of the census are for the last 10 years taken together. MNREGA has been able to check migration by creating job opportunities in rural areas," he said.
As per the 2011 Census, decadal urban population growth rate is 29% which is far higher than the rural (19%) growth rate in Rajasthan. Read More