Technical Field Testing Specialist, India
Location: Coimbatore Urban Region
Employer: Research Triangle Institute Global India Private Limited (“RTI Global India”) Contractor position, Full time.
We seek a highly motivated applicant to join a full-time term position with activities in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu under Sanitation Technology Platform (STeP) project (http://stepsforsanitation.org/). The STeP projectinvolves the field-testing of transformativesanitation technologies in selected sites in the Coimbatore Urban Region. Transformative sanitation technologies apply novel chemical, physical and biological processes for on-site wastewater treatment. These novel systems aim at killing pathogens, preserve health and ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
The Technical Field Operations Specialist will oversee the field-testing of transformative sanitation technologies in and near Coimbatore. This individual will work closely with RTI US and India-based staff, technology companies, and academic researchers and will be supported by a team of technical and programme advisors based in RTI’s U.S. STeP project offices. The candidate will have hands-on technical expertise in wastewater engineering and will play a key role in hands-on data collection and reporting and troubleshooting.
Technical and Operations Roles and Responsibilities
- Technical field testing operations in Coimbatore, India:
- Installation, operation and maintenance of the sanitation technology prototypes
- Work with technicians and researchers to oversee unit operation, influent and effluent samples collection, data collection with field instruments and with specialized assays
- Troubleshoot issues arising with the prototype system, analyze root causes, report with pictures and written reports, implement solutions
- Implement specialized characterization protocols on the systems, as instructed by the technology partner, including chemical, mechanical, fluidic, and electrical testing
- Design and implement mechanical add-ons and prototyping or components as needed
- Maintain overall timelines for all field testing activities – identify and recommend target completion dates for all field testing activities, coordinate with key project staff and partner organizations (PSG Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, etc.) as needed
- Serve as the primary communication channel for technical issues between the U.S. STeP team and India Field Operations Team and provide daily updates to the U.S.STeP team. Will lead frequent phone calls with programme advisors
- Support operations such as
- Delivery and installation of systems and components, procurement of materials and services
- Host visits by technical personnel and stakeholders to the site
- With the STeP Program Manager, manage local relationships – e.g., site management, labs, technical service providers
Education and Experience:
- Masters level (M.Sc./ M. Tech.)with minimum 2 years of related work experience or Bachelor’s level (B. Tech/B.E.) degree with minimum 4 years of related work experience.
- Preferred specializations will be Environment, Biochemical, Chemical, Biotechnology and related.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Hands-on engineering experiencee.g. in water orwastewater analysis, basic plumbing, electrical systems probing, and small equipment (e.g. fans) installation.
- Basic knowledge of wastewater treatment and water quality measurements.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be fluent (writing and speaking) in English.
- Knowledge of Tamil and Hindi language will be preferred.
- Strong technical and project operations skills and an ability to stick to tight project deadlines and timelines and problem-solving attitude.
- Ability to grasp and implement protocols and measurements, ability to recognize issues in data collection, implement corrective action and report the unvarnished picture of the situation.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment that requires timely results and adaptability of approaches, solve problems in real-time, handle multiple-tasks
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
Compensation for this position is competitive and commensurate to expertise. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants should submit a CV and cover letter with current contact information to
Sonia Grego, PhD, RTI firstname.lastname@example.org
Nutan Zarapkar, email@example.com